Treasure of Bell Island is an application playable on an Android tablet, iPad, Windows 7 PC and OS X computer. The player can play in home / clinic / school – anywhere they can take a device and have an Internet connection.
Game play was designed to be entertaining and engaging by Blue Marble’s in-house research clinicians and production team. Treasure of Bell Island is a Treasure Hunting Island Survival Adventure Game. In this role playing game, the player must manage four characters energy, location and rest while searching for the missing Prof. Swan. Each character has a unique skill-set that is used at various times during game play. Deciding when to play the characters is the key to surviving long enough to discover the treasure on Bell Island. Doing so efficiently, lowers the player’s score while challenging their attention, memory and executive function skills .
Who should Play
Treasure is a product that challenges attention, memory, visual perception and executive function- and is diagnostic agnostic. Examples of diagnoses with impairments or who have a comorbidity in theses cognitive skills include:
- Sports related post-concussion syndrome
- ADHD or other forms of attention impairments
- Schizophrenia, particularly the newly diagnosed
- Side-effects from Chemo therapy
- Some medications interfere with memory, attention and fine motor coordination
Treasures of Bell Island can monitor changes in attention, memory and executive function in students cleared to return-to-sport or return-to-learn.
Evidence Driven Game Design
Treasure of Bell Island has been designed as a translation of evidence based cognitive rehabilitation obtained from current best practices and clinical guidelines of cognitive rehabilitation following mild traumatic brain injury/post-concussive syndrome.
- ACRM BI-ISIG Evidence-Based Recommendations for Cognitive Rehabilitation- Rehabilitation of Attention after Brain Injury.
- ACRM BI-ISIG Evidence-Based Recommendations for Cognitive Rehabilitation- Rehabilitation of Memory after Brain Injury.
- ACRM BI-ISIG Evidence-Based Recommendations for Cognitive Rehabilitation- Rehabilitation of Visual Spatial Abilities after Brain Injury.
- Cicerone KD, Langenbahn DM, Braden C, Malec JF, Kalmer K, Fraas M, Felicetti T, Laatsch L, Harley JP, Bergquist T, Azulay J, Cantor J, Ashman T. (2011) Evidence-Based Cognitive Rehabilitation: Updated Review of the Literature from 2003 Through 2008 (Meta-Analysis) Arch Phys Med Rehabil Vol 92.
- Weightman MW, Bolgla R, McCulloch KL, Peterson MD. Physical Therapy Recommendations for Service Members with Mild Traumatic Brain Injury (2010) J Head Trauma Rehabil Vol 25;3
- Radomski MV, Davidson L, Voydetich D, Erickson MW. (2009) Occupational Therapy for Service Members with Mild Traumatic Brain Injury – The American Journal of Occupational Therapy September/October Vol 63; 5.
Treasure of Bell Island Outcomes
Teachers, coaches, clinicians / caregivers / parents can monitor the “player’s” progress two ways: 1) paper Journal (downloadable after purchase) or 2) DeepOcean our online monitoring and analytics tool.
Once downloaded and printed, the player comments in the Journal on game progress, strategy, challenges and feelings. The player and support staff have a physical record of game play progress. This document can be used to probe the player for memory challenges or to prompt discussions about feelings.
DeepOcean outcomes are presented graphically and in text formats. Either mode is easily exportable into the user’s favorite application. Continuous monitoring of a player’s throughput (ability to process information) is easily evaluated through colorful bar charts.
The Treasure of Bell Island suite is a comprehensive system of software and documentation designed to: challenge the player’s cognitive skills, track progress through the game and provide tools that a healthcare professional can use to enhance the player’s intervention (optional).
- Treasure of Bell Island Application (Android Tablet/Windows 7)
- Treasure of Bell Island User Guide (Online/PDF/Bound and Printed)
- Treasure of Bell Island Journal (PDF/Bound and Printed)
- Treasure of Bell Island Clinician’s Guide (PDF/Bound and Printed/Online)
- Treasure of Bell Island video tutorials (tablet – in game/online)
- Treasure of Bell Island training for the healthcare professional on use and implementation
Treasure of Bell Island Overview Video
Download a version of TREASURE OF BELL ISLAND without data visualizations, on your tablet from the iTunes App Store or Google Play.
This work is supported by the US Army Medical Research and Material Command under Contract No. W81XWH-09-C-0131. The views, opinions and/or findings contained in this report are those of the author(s) and should not be construed as an official Department of the Army position, policy or decision unless so designated by other documentation.In the conduct of research where humans are the subjects, the investigator(s) adhered to the policies regarding the protection of human subjects as prescribed by Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Title 45, Volume 1, Part 46; Title 32, Chapter 1, Part 219; and Title 21, Chapter 1, Part 50 (Protection of Human Subjects).